The protected areas represent the most important ecological corridor that crosses Bărăgan Meadow, which develops from west to east, linking the Sub-Carpathians Mountains and the Danube Plain, with Ialomița being the only alohton river in the Plain of Bărăgan. In this way, Ialomița and its main tributaries – Prahova and Teleajenul – connect the Danube Plain with the forest and hilly plain area, crossing the driest area of the country – Bărăgan Plain.
The site of community importance ROSCI0290 Ialomita Corridor has been designated for the conservation of:
– 8 types of habitats (91Y0 – Dacian oak and hornbeam forests; 92A0 – Salix alba and Populus alba galleries; 91F0 – Mixed riparian forests of Quercus robur, Ulmus laevis and Ulmus minor, Fraxinus excelsior or Fraxinus angustifolia, along the great rivers (Ulmenion minoris); 91I0 * – Euro-Siberian steppe forests with Quercus spp .; 40C0 * – Ponto-Sarmatic deciduous shrubs; 6430 – High hydrophilic grasslands of mountain-level to alpine plains; 3260 – Courses of water from level to mountain level, with vegetation Ranunculion fluitantis and Callitricho-Batrachion; 3270 – Rivers with muddy banks with vegetation of Chenopodion rubri and Bidention).
– 3 species of mammals (1335 Spermophilus citellus – Popandău; 1337 Beaver fiber – Beaver; 1355 Lutra lutra – Beaver);
– 3 species of amphibians (1188 Bombina bombina – Swamp with yellow belly; 1220 Emys orbicularis – Turtle of water; 1166 Triturus cristatus – Triton with ridge).
The Special Bird Protection Area ROSPA0152 Ialomita Corridor (included in the site of Community Importance ROSCI0290 Ialomita Corridor) has been designated for the conservation of 21 species of birds, namely:
- Accipiter brevipes (Short-legged Pigeon);
- Alcedo atthis (Blue Fisherman);
- ythya nyroca (Red Duck);
- Buteo rufinus (large hornbill);
- Ciconia nigra (Black Stork);
- Coracias garrulus (Dumbrăveancă);
- Dendrocopos medius (oak hammers);
- Dryocopus martius (Black Woodpecker);
- Egretta garzetta (Little Egret);
- Emberiza hortulana (Garden press);
- Falco vespertinus (Evening Vulture);
- Haliaeetus albicilla (Codalb);
- Hieraaetus pennatus (Aquila dwarf);
- Ixobrychus minutus (dwarf rock);
- Lanius collurio (Red-throated Frog);
- Lanius minor (Black-fronted Frog);
- Lullula arborea (Woodlands);
- Nycticorax nycticorax (Night Stingray);
- Pernis apivorus (Viespar);
- Picus canus;
- Sylvia nisoria (Silvie pigeon).